Covenant Health is an innovative, Catholic regional delivery network and a leader in values based, not-for-profit health and elder care. We sponsor hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living residences and other health and elder care organizations throughout New England.
LOCATIONS

History, Mission and Core Values

Our Mission

We are a Catholic health ministry, providing healing and care for the whole person, in service to all in our communities.

Our Heritage

In 1908, St. Joseph Hospital was founded by Monsignor Henri Milette under the sponsorship of the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, "Grey Nuns," to primarily serve Nashua's French Canadian Community. With reverence for the poor and vulnerable, we continue our commitment of hope and healing in the spirit of the Grey Nuns and their foundress, St. Marguerite d'Youville, in spreading the good news of God's intrinsic love for every human being.

Core Values

Our Judeo-Christian tradition compels us to promote Gospel values in all of our endeavors. We commit to honor these core values:

Compassion
We show respect, caring and sensitivity towards all, honoring the dignity of each person, especially the poor, vulnerable and suffering

Integrity
We promote justice and ethical behavior, and responsibly steward our human, financial and environmental resources.

Collaboration
We work in partnership, dialogue and shared purpose to create healthy communities.

Excellence
We deliver all services with the highest level quality, while seeking creative innovation.

 

History

St. Joseph Hospital - recognized for excellence and service to our community - 100 + years and counting.

1906  St. Louis de Gonzague Parish, under the leadership of Father Henri  Milette, begins construction of a 78-bed hospital on Kinsley Street on June 21.

1907  The Sisters of Charity of Montreal, also known as the Grey Nuns, contract with Father Milette and Bishop Guertin to operate the new facility. Nine sisters arrive in Nashua July 7th.

1908  The hospital is dedicated on May 1, the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker. The sisters also open St. Joseph School of Nursing.

1910  The School of Nursing graduates its first class.

1914–1921  Construction adds 39 beds to the hospital, bringing total bed capacity to 117. The hospital is the first in the state accepted by the College of Surgeons as a "Class A" Hospital.

1938  Ownership of St. Joseph Hospital is transferred from St. Louis de Gonzague Parish to the Grey Nuns.

1946  A new home for 100 student nurses is built.

1967  A new 137-bed facility (the present South building) opens in July, after which the original building is demolished. Subsequently the hospital expands to 200 beds with a 10-bed Intensive Care Unit.

1972  The hospital's first lay Board of Directors is formed. William J. Clegg, Jr., is appointed as the first lay administrator of St. Joseph Hospital.

1976  Milford Medical Center opens as the hospital's first satellite facility.

1977  A second satellite facility in Merrimack opens.

1980  A new wing is dedicated, adding 92,000 additional square feet to the hospital.

1981  St. Joseph Hospital is designated a Level II Trauma Center.

1986  Rockingham Regional Ambulance, Inc. is acquired.

1990  St. Joseph Hospital begins to acquire and expand physician practices throughout the area.

1995  The Adult Day Health Center opens.

1996  Sponsorship of St. Joseph Hospital is transferred to Covenant Health Systems, a public juridical person established by the Grey Nuns. Souhegan Home & Hospice Care is acquired. The SurgiCenter opens.

2000  The Breast Care Center opens at its new location, providing Nashua with the first facility to offer comprehensive breast care in a single location.

2001  The Cardiovascular and Diabetes Center, affiliated with the New England Heart Institute, opens at St. Joseph Hospital. Land is purchased from St. Joseph Parish to provide room for future expansion.

2005  St. Joseph Hospital achieved Magnet Status, the highest national award for excellence in nursing. 

2006  A new ambulatory building with access to new outpatient programs and services opens.

2008  St. Joseph Hospital celebrates 100 years of service to our community. 

2008  St. Joseph Hospital became the first hospital in Nashua to offer robotic-assisted surgeries using the da Vinci® Surgical System.

2009  SJ physician network welcomes the Nashua Medical Group. 

2009  St. Joseph Hospital is re-designated a Magnet hospital. 

2010  The Hudson Medical Office Building opened, expanding SJ Family Medicine and other ancillary services.

2011  Surgical Services Renovation project completed. The project included nine new, state-of-the-art surgical suites, renovation of the preparation and recovery areas to increase privacy for patients and newly renovated waiting areas for family and loved ones.

2012  St. Joseph Hospital became one of the first women's health centers in New Hampshire to offer 3D Mammography, also called Tomosynthesis, for breast cancer screening.

2014  St. Joseph Hospital's newly renovated Emergency Department opens, featuring 23 private treatment rooms. Our dedicated team of skilled and experienced physicians care for over 26,000 ED visits per year.

2015  St. Joseph Hospital unveils the new Milford Medical Center/Urgent Care center.